birding-aus

Re: Migrant Nosiy Friars

Subject: Re: Migrant Nosiy Friars
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 09:19:56 +1100
 wrote:

> On April 28th, I saw a large flock (c. 30 birds) of Noisy Friars just
> south of Gundagai.
> I assume they were migrating, but it seemd to me to be unusual to see
> them so far south so late -- they had cleared out of the area near me in
> Canberra several weeks before.
> Does anypone have any thoughts on this one?
>
> Stephen Mugford
According to some authorities Noisy Friarbirds migrate north during
winter, however we regularly record them arriving in large numbers at
Rushworth State Forest (just north of Bendigo) in May when the
box/ironbarks start flowering.They seem to move out of the area around
July/August.Presumably they move in from areas north of Rushworth as
thay are not common further south.We haven't had a chance to get up
there recently so it will be interesting to see if there is anything
flowering and if the NF's are present.The "National Photographic
Index-Honeyeaters" asserts that NF's follow the flowering box/ironbarks
rather than stating that there is a south-north migration in winter.Any
more in-depth literature would certainly be of interest.
Susan Myers