birding-aus

Re: RFI:Striated & Red-rumped Swallows

Subject: Re: RFI:Striated & Red-rumped Swallows
From: Stephen Greenfield & Kit Hansen <>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 11:36:20 -0500 (CDT)
At 04:22 PM 4/18/97 +1100, Susan Myers wrote:
>Does anybody have any information or know of any references pertaining
>to the taxonomy of Striated(Hirundo striolata) and Red-rumped(H.daurica)
>Swallows(both found in the SE Asia region)?They seem to be alternately
>lumped and split and it's all very mixed up.Also does anybody know where
>H.striolata badia stands in the whole picture?
>Susan Myers

I'm glad you inspired me to look into this: you have it right but I was all
messed up, because I had used King et.al.'s Birds of SE Asia, which lumps
them... though it mentions the primary research, Vaurie (1951) Amer. Mus.
Novitates, which made the case for spliting them.  Clements' list has had
them split all along.  What's confusing is that, as you say, badia is put
into Striated along with the other forms from SEA to the Phillipines and
Indonesia (leaving Red-rumped in Europe, Africa, to China and India) despite
the fact that badia is so different, unstreaked rufous below.  (Sounds like
a third species to me!)  If you can't find Vaurie or, more likely,  Turner &
Rose's (1989) Swallows & Martins, I can give you more details from the
latter, and summarize the rationale for splitting them.  Thank you (I even
added a tick!)...
Steve Greenfield
Minneapolis