birding-aus

Re: Feral pheasant

Subject: Re: Feral pheasant
From: Michael John Ramsey <>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 11:18:22 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, David Taylor wrote:

> Whilst at Mt Worth National Park in Gippaland on the weekend I saw
> a feral brightly coloured pheasant (I dont have any overseas books so
> I cant ID until I get to the RAOU library) making a living straching
> around like a poor-persons lyre-bird.

Dear Birders..

 I remember 3 years ago I observed a female Common Pheasant in long grass
and shrub on my neighbours property (south of Wangaratta) . The bird was
very hard to approach and flew 10 metres or so before dropping down into
long grass again. It did this a few times as I tried to observe it. I
assumed this bird was most likely to be an escaped bird.
 Also on interest in the Wangaratta region was around 15 years ago a
Silver Pheasant (male) was sighted in the Warby Range (10km west
Wangaratta) a few times before it was eventually taken by a fox or
something. Although I never saw this bird myself (I was too young) it
apparently was making a feral-existence for itself.
 It would be interesting to know how many other feral pheasants people
have observed over the years, and of the Common Pheasant which has been
introduced what its status and distribution is ? Also of interest is the
Chukar Partridge which has been apparently introduced to the Gulgong
region of NSW, I also read a report in the Bird-observer of this species
being observed in Flinders Island.

Michael Ramsey