birding-aus

sandpiper at Long Reef

To: unknown <>
Subject: sandpiper at Long Reef
From: robert handfield <>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 07:27:36 -0400
Today my wife and I spent about an hour late in the day on the rocks at
Long Reef point (Sydney) and besides the usual birds such as Sooty
Oystercatcher, Crested Tern, etc there were some others I haven't seen
there before.  There were at least half a dozen Lesser Golden Plover, most
in fairly good breeding plumage and at least that many Ruddy Turnstone,
again in breeding plumage.

However, besides these two, there was a third species, very small and
rather non descript; to me it looked like a Sanderling or red-necked stint;
although there were at least 20 individuals none were in breeding plumage.
Did anyone else go to Long Reef today and who knows what these birds were?

Thanks for your help.

Bob Handfield