birding-aus

toe lengths

Subject: toe lengths
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 10:24:18 -0500
          For one of my research projects I have been compiling data on
     relative toe lengths of diferent bird species, using data from HANZAB
     and the series on European/Western Palearctic birds.
          I was looking at my database the other day, and saw that my entry
     for _Nycticorax caledonicus_ (taken from HANZAB, I believe) gives the
     length of the outer toe (digit IV) as 30% of the length of the middle
     toe (digit III).  This is CONSIDERABLY at variance with the values I
     have for other species of _Nycticorax_ (76-78%).  I was pretty careful
     in copying down numbers from the sources, and I think I remember
     noticing this at the time, and double-checking.
         But if anybody on this list has HANZAB, would you kindly look up
     the entry for _N. caledonicus_ and making sure that I took down the
     numbers correctly?
          And if I did, does it strike you as likely that this species
     should have an outer toe length relatively so much shorter than in
     other species of the genus?  Or is this more likely a typographic
     error in HANZAB?

     Thanks.

     Jim Farlow