birding-aus

Re: Harrison Seabird guide

Subject: Re: Harrison Seabird guide
From: Philip M Hansbro <>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 10:59:35 +0100 (BST)
Im my opinion, the hard copy of seabirds is still the only guide to cover
all the seabirds of the world. The only other is the new Birds of the
World Volumes 1 and 3 (I think) but these are huge and not to be carried
around. Seabirds was a real breakthough in bird ID when it came out but it
is getting out dated now and I am sure it wil be superceded in the future,
but I don't know of any plans yet.
As for the Photographic guide - it's not that expensive and probably worth
the money. It has got A LOT of mistakes and mis-identifications in it
though and is not really that useful as a field guide. There is a new one
coming out as well written by David Tipling, but I don't know how long it
will take. It is well overdue already. It is supposed to have lots more
photos of each species in it.
Cheers
Phil.

Dr Phil Hansbro          I      Tel: (h) 01223 514441   or
Dept of Pathology        I               01223 514434
Tennis Court Road        I           (w) 01223 333545
Cambridge University     I      Fax:     01223 333346
Cambridge CB2 1QP        I
UK                       I      Email: