birding-aus

Swifts at night in Victoria

Subject: Swifts at night in Victoria
From: "Martin O'Brien" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 17:10:44 -0812 (utc)
Interesting to read of Danny Rogers experinces with Swifts over ash forests in
the
Victorian Highlands.

I had a similar experience with these species while night censusing for
arboreal
mammals in the dry forests of Mt. Samaria near Mansfield, NW Victoria.

On a mild night in February (early 1980s) while spotlighting Greater
(Petauroides
volans) and other gliders in the canopy of the surounding forest, a colleague
(Jerry Alexander) and I could clearly hear what was the 'swish' of wings of
rapidly
moving birds just above the tree tops.  The sun was well down but there was
moonlight observable after we turned our lights out.  The birds could not be
seen
with or without the lights but there speed suggested they were
swifts/Needletails.
An eary experience indeed when there were no other bush sounds of note.
Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Policy Officer
Flora and Fauna Branch
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde.,
East Melbourne, Victoria.
AUSTRALIA  3002

tel: +61 3 9412 4273