birding-aus

Databases

To: UNKNOWN <>
Subject: Databases
From: Chris Padley <>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 16:42:18 -0500
I can recommend the database that I use -" Bird Recorder for Windows" which
can be obtained here in the U.K.
You really need Win.95 and at least 16 meg. of RAM. It has all the worlds
species which can be split up into the major faunal zones eg . When I came
to Aus. earlier this year I was able to deal with just Australian birds and
not have to wade through all the World species list. I was able to tick
species that I had a chance of seeing and produce a checklist of them with
a number of columns for the days of the trip - all very professional.
Distribution maps can easily be viewed for each species - however
abundances are not shown so if a species is found at only one site in the
country , the whole country will be highlighted. You can produce lists of
sightings,year lists, country lists - in fact any list you like for
anywhere you like. I find it an amazing program. However like all these
types of databases you really needed it the day before you started birding
because you have to put your sightings in first. It is the sort of thing to
do over long winter nights - you have to get the possibly vast backlog of
species and sites entered first - when done you spend only a few minutes
updating with new trips etc. I added my Aus trip species to my list (325
spp.) in a couple of hours. It is suitable for any country in the World and
is constantly being upgraded.By the way,  I have no link with the company
that produces the program - Wildlife Computing Services.
        Should you require further information contact Jack Levine whose
e:mail is " or fax (+44)(0)1206 298345 or contact me
& i will try to answer any questions.

                                                        Cheers,
                                                        Chris Padley