birding-aus

[no subject]

From: RAOU Publicity <>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:48:04 +1100 (EST)
David McDonald posted this:
"A Melbourne friend has showed me a long article and survey form
published in the Melbourne Age on 24 Feb by the RAOU.  I wonder if
anyone can advise if this just/mainly community education about these
flying cockroaches, or has it a research component?

David

PS why is RAOU still using that title, considering that the decision
to change to BIRDS Australia was made many months ago?"

As both these fall into my court I will answer them both
.
RE  THE MYNA

The Myna survey has a geniune research component, albeit one that is not as
compelling as most Birds Australia (RAOU) projects.  As the marketing
manager it is my belief that we should make more people aware of bird
science isssues and this is one that is right under our noses.  The common
myna seems to have a knack of polarising peoples views and before we
actually head off into specific work I wanted to establish the extent of the
problem in Melbourne and provide a forum for an exchange of information.
There is as far as I could establish no clear consensus on the problem, it's
significance and potential solutions. My concern was to try to guage the
depth of member and public feeling. The response has been overwhelming. Over
1000 forms and still climbing.

RE BIRDS AUSTRALIA

This was delayed by the need to put the legal/commercial structure to
Council so as to be correct and to allow the RAOU to continue to publish THE
EMU (for example). The changeover is happening in stages, today we answer
the telephone as Birds Australia and we will be replacing letterheads etc as
we run out. The new name and logo will be on show at the AGM and Members
Reporting Day at Albury on May 24th.