birding-aus

Trip Report, Round Hill NR

Subject: Trip Report, Round Hill NR
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 19:35:30 +1100 (EST)
What is Round Hill like in autumn?

Answer: quite pleasant, quiet as regards bird-life, warm days and cool, but
pleasant, nights; only a little mallee in flower.

We?ve returned from a weekend trip there where we saw the following birds,
in no particular order:

Wedge-tailed Eagle
Mallee Ringneck
Common Bronzewing
Red-capped Robin
Bar-shouldered Dove
Little Crow
Australian Raven
Inland Thornbill
Spotted Nightjar (on the hill at dusk)
Brown-headed Honeyeater
White-eared Honeyeater
Rufous Whistler
Southern Scrub-robin
Grey Shrike Thrush

The Nightjar and the Scrub-robin where new birds for me. The Scrub-robin was
very amusing?we had spent hours wandering up and down the side-road looking
for it, in the afternoon and evening on Saturday and on Sunday morning, and
we returned to the car on the Sunday to find it checking the car and tent
out. I think Drymodes should be renamed with a Greek word meaning ?sticky-beak?.

Also noteworthy were the large numbers (at least 20 separate groups) of
White-browed Babblers in the regrowth along the West Wyalong to Lake
Cargelligo road, very heartening.

Dr John Leonard
PO Box 243, Woden,
ACT 2606, AUSTRALIA

"We are not concerned with hopes and fears,
only with the truth as far as our reason permits
us to discover it." Charles Darwin