birding-aus

Re: avian eye

Subject: Re: avian eye
From: (Mark Holdsworth)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 18:21:43 +1000
In answer to Paul Andrew's request on the acuity of raptor eyes I suggest
you all buy a copy of the Australasian Raptor Association's "Australian
Raptor Studies" (Penny Olsen editor 1993). There are three comprehensive
papers on raptor vision in this fine publication (among other fascinating
papers on biology and ecology).

In brief, Liz Reymond's short paper "Spatial visual acuity of some
Australian raptors" states that ..."The Eagle (wedge-tailed) possessed
about twice the discrimination capacity of man, whereas the Falcon (brown)
had the same acuity as man, and the Owl (masked) only about one-sixth the
capacity of man."

If anyone would like to purchase a copy please contact me direct.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Holdsworth
Wildlife Management Officer
President, Australasian Raptor Association
Tasmanian Representative, BIRDS Australia Parrot Association

Parks and Wildlife Service
GPO Box 44A Hobart Tasmania 7001 Australia

Phone 03 6233 6033 (wk) 03 6239 0213 (ah) Fax 03 6233 3477