birding-aus

THAT Penguin

Subject: THAT Penguin
From: Gerry Hopkins <>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:52:49 +1000
G'Day All,

We had to make a visits to Melbourne for a wedding on 8th March. On the
following monday we made the trip to the 12 Apostles to see THAT penguin
(erect crested). On the way there we stopped at the Tourist Info in
Appolo Bay, they rang the local ranger for info..... alas, we were told
it left 2 days earlier. We arrived at 1.00pm and went to the spot
described in Birding Aus. No sign of any penguins. After spending a few
hours looking at the sights (plus brisle ? birds)for a few hours my wife
Lauris wanted to take a last look at the reported sight. After 15
minutes see spotted it!!!! almost had heart attack, and came running to
me to get the video camera. On returning to the spot I set the camera
and started the tape rolling. A few moments later the relief Ranger
arrived and confirmed the sighting, he had be down on the sand a few
days earlier. The bird would sleep, stand up and preen, walk a little
the 'fall down' and go to sleep.

While being videoed, the bird decided to have a preen, a look around,
then go back to sleep.

We gave the ranger some of the printouts from Birding Aus an he was
going to try and get on the Net.

The bird was videoed from 4.45pm to 5.10pm.

This made up for the day she had spent with me 'chasing' the Puffing
Billy.

Regards Gerry & Lauris.

Gerry Hopkins MMR
Editor "Main Line" NMRA Australasian Region
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gerrymmr