birding-aus

spot-lights etc

Subject: spot-lights etc
From: (Kim Lim)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 15:36:30 +1100
Greetings all,

I went in to Dick Smith's the other day to enquire about sealed gel
(trickle) battery chargers. The largest one they had was a 12V 6.5Amp one.
It costs about $40.00 but was quite heavy. The guy told me for a 30 watt
spotlight it probably can last about an hour but takes 16!! hours to
charge. The weight and charging time is a problem.

What I'm getting at is whether it is worthwhile rigging up such a set-up
for so much money for so lttle use-time. I don't see the advantage of this.
What I have is just a spotlight that I got from Marlow's (car part dealers)
for $15.00 which I use plugged into my car cig lighter. I drive along bush
tracks and just spotlight from inside the car. When I see something I don't
shine the light directly into the animal's eyes but aim a little to the
side. Anyway the power of a light source falls very rapidly proportionate
to distance so if the animal is some distance away the light would not be
harmful to them.

Of course I cannot drive into the bush proper but then how much ground can
you cover in the bush in one hour? For spotlighting on foot I think it's
more sensible using a powerful torch-light.

My two sen worth.

Kim

Kim-Chye Lim (Mr)
1/117 Hubert Street