birding-aus

High Country night call identified

Subject: High Country night call identified
From: "David McDonald" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 18:54:11 +1100
Many thanks for those who responded to my call for help in
identifying a night call at the Thredbo River in the Snowy Mountains
of NSW last week.  Richard Jordan and Jo Wieneke suggested the Brush
Cuckoo.  I checked the BOCA tape and that is certainly what I
heard.  The Snowy Mtns area is within its summer range.

Pizzey's field guide covers the call well:
quote
Displaying males very noisy with repeated shrill rising phrases like
'where's-the-tea', 'where's-the-tea-Pete' or 'where's-the-pippy',
becoming demented.
unquote
This call is, of course, in addition to the one with which I was
familiar:  'fear-fear-fear-fear ...'

When I characterised it as being like 'walk-to-work' I guess that's
similar to Pizzey's 'where's-the-tea'.  Except that the Noisy Pitta
has appropriated  'walk-to-work'!

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions.

David
David McDonald          Telephone:   +61-6-231 8904
PO Box 1355
WODEN  ACT  2606
AUSTRALIA               E-mail:
      Fax from 26 Feb 1997:  +61-6-249 0740