birding-aus

Field Guide for Wallacea

Subject: Field Guide for Wallacea
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:58:08 +1000
I recently spoke to Andrew Isles (the book guru) regarding the book that
Lawrie mentions,(we are both waiting to get our hot hands on it!) He
says that they've been waiting for the author to finish it for rather a
long time- which I took to mean a few years! So unfortunately I wouldn't
hold your breath if I was you. There is another book kicking around, the
name of which I can't quite recall at the moment- something like "An
Annotated List of the Birds Of Wallacea".It is not illustrated which is
obviously a big drawback. The other one is that it costs a rather large
part of your body- about an arm and a leg I would think.
The best course of action would be to call Andrew Isles Natural History
Books on (03) 9529 6850 who are very helpful and will post anything to
you.You can also put your name on a waiting list for the field guide.

Susan Myers
 Conole wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Kim Lim wrote:
>
> > Does anyone on this list know of a suitable field guide for the birds of
> > Wallacea or at least some of the main islands in Eastern Indonesia? (Timor,
> > Sulawesi, etc). If so, where can I get my hands on one in Oz?
>
> Kim
>
> There's a Wallacea field guide scheduled for publication this year some
> time (Brian Coates et al, I think).  Otherwise you have to cobble together
> checklists, articles, guides from nearby areas, &tc. to work out the E
> Indo birds.
>
> ==============================
> Lawrie Conole
> Geelong, Victoria, Australia
>

> ==============================
> Does anyone on this list know of a suitable field guide for the birds of
> Wallacea or at least some of the main islands in Eastern Indonesia? (Timor,
> Sulawesi, etc). If so, where can I get my hands on one in Oz?

Kim

There's a Wallacea field guide scheduled for publication this year some
time (Brian Coates et al, I think).  Otherwise you have to cobble together
checklists, articles, guides from nearby areas, &tc. to work out the E
Indo birds.

Lawrie Conole
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

--- End Message ---