birding-aus

Research Directory Update 4

Subject: Research Directory Update 4
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:07:26 +1000
1996 AUSTRALIAN BIRD RESEARCH DIRECTORY:

UPDATE 4

On 24 December 1996 I called upon fellow bird researchers to contribute to the
1996
Directory of Australian Bird Research Projects. The closing date for
contributions is
the 7 February 1997. From the information provided, I hope to be able to
produce a
directory of Australian bird research projects that were conducted in 1996 for
inclusion
on the Internet by the end of February 1997. Until then, I will provide you
with weekly
updates of who has contributed information to the directory.

There was a fantastic response after last week?s posting of Research Directory
Update.
Many of the researchers who responded during the week went some way to filling
the gaps
that were identified in Update 3. There was a particularly good response from
the
Northern Territory, some from NSW and yet more contributions from the ACT and
WA.
Thanks also to those people who have urged others to contribute to the
directory.

By 5 pm EST on Tuesday, 21 January 1997 I had received contributions from 40
researchers:

Penny Atkinson (Murdoch University)
Colin Bailey (University of Adelaide)
Mark Barter (Australasian Wader Studies Group)
John Blyth (WA Dept. Conservation and Land Management)
Walter Boles (Australian Museum)
Don Bradshaw (University of WA)
Ray Brereton (Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service)
Belinda Brooker (Murdoch University)
Andrew Burbidge (WA Dept. Conservation and Land Management)
Peter Cale (CSIRO/University of New England)
Belinda Cannell (Murdoch University)
Angie Chapman (University of Qld/CSIRO)
Mike Clarke (La Trobe University)
Andrew Cockburn (Australian National University)
Michael Craig (University of Western Australia)
John Dell (WA Museum)
Peter Dostine (Conservation Commission of the Northern Territory)
Daniel Ebert (Australian National University)
Kris French (University of Wollongong)
Jody Gates (University of Adelaide)
Michelle Hall (Australian National University)
Elsie Krebs (Australian National University)
Ashley Leedman (Australian National University)
Sarah Legge (Australian National University)
Sandra McKenzie (Murdoch University)
Rob Magrath (Australian National University)
Richard Major (Australian Museum)
Graeme Martin (University of Western Australia)
Catherine Meathrel (La Trobe University)
Richard Noske (Northern Territory University)
Martin O?Brien (Victorian Department of Natural Resources and Environment)
Damon Oliver (University of New England)
Penny Olsen (Australian National University)
Angela Paltridge (University of Adelaide)
Richard Schodde (CSIRO)
Ian Temby (Victorian Department of Natural Resources and Environment)
Peter Whitehead (Conservation Commission of the Northern Territory)
Steve Williams (James Cook University)
John Woinarski (Conservation Commission of the Northern Territory)
Stephen Ambrose (on behalf of all RAOU project officers).

Thanks also to those people who are on the e-mailing list but who have told me
that they
did not conduct funded bird research in 1996. I still have not heard from some
of
Australia?s senior ornithologists. Your contributions are just as important as
those
from people who are starting their careers or completing their education.

Some of the centres of active bird research that I have not yet heard from
include:

· Many tertiary institutions in Victoria, NSW, Qld and Tasmania
· Government wildlife agencies in Qld, NSW and SA. Complete lists of research
projects
 from agencies in Victoria and Tasmania have not yet been received.
· Most state museums. Partial responses have been received from the Australian
and WA
Museums, but I have not yet heard from other museums.
· Some CSIRO labs.
· The Biodiversity Group of Environment Australia.

I am also interested in hearing about funded projects that were conducted by
regional,
national and special-interest bird groups. My special thanks to Mark Barter who
made the
first such contribution last week.

It would be great if you could spend a few minutes of your time helping to fill
the
gaps. I look forward to receiving information from you soon.

Kind regards,

Dr Stephen Ambrose
RAOU Research and Conservation Manager

E-mail:    (at home)