birding-aus

Peregrines

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Peregrines
From: Cilla Quested <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 97 11:24:00 PST
The recent postings by Ian  and Paul on the subject of peregrine strikes in
urban environments remind me of observations I made in 1980 while I was
working on Level 50 in the MLC Centre (in the middle of Sydney CBD).  I was
alone in the office for much of the time and to alleviate boredom I had a
pair of binoculars in the office.  I had observed a peregrine on top of the
American Express building which was a good vantage-point for Darling Harbour
at that time.  The peregrine would take off and target single pigeons flying
over the water.  The impact was quite spectacular with a mass of falling
feathers as evidence of success (from the peregrine's point of view, of
course).   This was a regular occurrence several time a week.  The peregrine
would then bring its prey back to the American Express rooftop.  I wonder if
they ever nested on any city buildings.  I have heard of this overseas and,
certainly in the City of London  where I was working many years ago,
kestrels would be a regular  nesting feature on old buildings.

Cilla Quested