birding-aus

injured animals

Subject: injured animals
From: Diane Westerhuis <>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 08:11:10 +1100
I know this isnt birds, but: It must have been something in the air that
morning - I too changed my walk and found a baby green turtle on a cement
footpath outside the local pool, next to "The Strand". It may have escaped
from water off a boat which was parked nearby. We found great pleasure in
putting it back in the water, but I wonder: where did it come from, how much
this would have disoriented the turtle, and what its chances of survival
would be?
The Townsville Strand area is highly populated, and very busy early in the
mornings particularly. I dont think this is where baby turtles would hatch,
how far away would it have come from?

Irene wrote:
>On Friday 27 December I went for a morning walk before work (I was one of the
>2% of the population who worked on Friday) and for whatever reason I headed in
>a different direction.  Just as well that I did, as I found an injured
>Brush-tailed Possum presumably hurt by a car.  What a co-incidence that this
>was the day I chose to walk somewhere different.
>
>Took it around to my local WIRES lady, to find a huge Common Koel immature
>chasing a Red Wattlebird.  The wattlebird was trying to get away and I guess
>was up to the stage of trying to encourage "its" young to fend for itself.
>
>Hope you had a lovely Christmas with family and friends:  best regards for
>1997.
>
>Happy Birding
>Irene Denton
Merry Christmas,
Regards,
Diane
Diane Westerhuis                PhD Student
Training and                    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies
Documentation Coordinator       James Cook University
Computer Centre
James Cook University           Fax (077) 815230
Townsville 4811                 Ph (077) 814070
International  +61 77 814070 (ph)
               +61 77 815230 (fax)