birding-aus

Magpie rescue

To: <>
Subject: Magpie rescue
From: "Christina Freestone" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 96 10:04:18 VUT
Had an eventful lunch hour yesterday.  As I was walking to the carpark I
spotted a young magpie hanging upside down from a branch high up in a
eucalypt tree!  It appeared to have one of its legs caught in between two
small branches.  It was very windy and the poor bird was being buffeted
about like anything.  An anxious parent was flying around it which further
upset the youngster.  Since my tree climbing skills were somewhat rusty I
decided to try and enlist help from somewhere.  Twenty minutes later the
local CFA had turned up complete with cherry picker!  The bird was
successfully retrieved albeit with broken leg and despatched to the local
RSPCA for treatment and rehab!

All in a day's work and a good practice drill for the CFA!

Cheers
Christy Freestone
Melbourne