birding-aus

Re: Membership of birding organisations

Subject: Re: Membership of birding organisations
From: Margaret Cameron <>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 06:50:18 +1000
These are good ideas Steve!

I've belonged to both the RAOU and the BOC for almost 30 years (gosh!) and
although I lead a day trip for the BOC once a year I really prefer to put my
effort into the RAOU since obviously it does more good.

I have found a good selling point for membership of the RAOU is that you can
actually make a contribution for birds - there are always projects anyone
can participate in like the Atlas (I can't wait for the next), the Nest
Record Scheme, wader counts etc. People are proud to hear the data they have
helped gather, being used in EIS panel hearings to protect a wetland or
whatever. "More than just birdwatching" seems to appeal especially to young
people.

Margaret Cameron

At 02:09 PM 4/12/96 -0400,  wrote:
>I have been reading this thread with some interest and have a few ideas on
>promotion.  First my history as a bird watcher.  I joined the BOC as a kid
>with my father.  It served my needs well at the time.  After I lapsed for
>a few years (too many other distractions at university perhaps) I joined
>the RAOU because of a coupon in one of their calendars.  This was about
>1985 I think.
>
>Over the last decade I have watched the RAOU become more vibrant and
>active.  These are my perceptions of course.  I've seen the development of
>the Bird Observatories, the successful fund raising campaigns, the
>publication of the Atlas and HANZAAB, dozens of vital research projects
>undertaken, new headquarters etc.  Possibly the most visible symbol of
>change is the dramatic increase in quantity and quality of the Wingspan
>magazine in my time as a member.
>
>So how do we get more people to join?  People have to know what the
>organisation is and what it has to offer them.  The name change will
>probably help here.  One suggestion I have is to disperse far and wide
>copies of Wingspan.  I have old copies sitting on a shelf and get them
>down occasionally for a browse but they would probably do more good if
>they were read by more than just me.  So donate to schools and libraries.
>Put a copy in the staff canteen.  Next time you go to the doctors or the
>dentists leave a copy to supplement the old Time magazines.  Actually
>while I am on this thread - we could extend the idea to include earlier
>editions of Simpson & Day, Pizzey and Slater.  Most school and public
>libraries have a poor selection of field guides in my experience.
>
>Your turn now...
>
>Cheers
>
>Steve

>Stephen Clark
>CSIRO Division of Plant Industry
>Canberra 2601 Australia
>Phone 06 246 5417
>Fax   06 246 5399

nb Changed telephone number!

Margaret Cameron                Phone   61 3 52299792
4 Connor Street                 Email
East Geelong, Victoria
Australia 3219