birding-aus

re Grey Phalarope Records in Australia

Subject: re Grey Phalarope Records in Australia
From: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
Date: 28 Nov 96 17:06:01 +1100
There may also be another more recent record of Grey Phalarope!!

And this record would have to go down as the ultimate grip off, for
many on board the last Wollongong boat trip, 24th November.  While we
were all looking at 2 Little Shearwater's from the bow of the boat,
Lindsay Smith and others were on the top deck SCREAMING something
about 2 small birds that they could not identify, unfortunately being
very preoccupied we took no notice.

Lindsay called me on Monday very excited, pointing out that he had
managed to work out the identity of the two birds he saw "they were
GREY PHALAROPE".  I had forgotten all about the crys for others to
look at these birds, assuming that he must have been looking at a
Mottled Petrel, that was also around at the time.  So there we have it,
I am completely gripped and I'm sure that many others are too. It was
only those on the upper deck that resisted looking at either the
Little Shearwater or the Mottled Petrel that were rewarded with Grey
Phalarope.

Full marks go to Lindsay Smith

Regards
Tony Palliser  (Sydney, Australia)
Phone   +61 2 9900 1678 or +61 2 94277563
Fax     +61 2 9900 1669
Email    or
        http://www.zip.com.au/~palliser