birding-aus

Myall Lakes NP

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Myall Lakes NP
From: Robert Quinan <>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:59:08 +1000
Hi everyone,

Just a short report on my trip to Myall Lakes NP.  But before I get into
that I'd just like to thank those who gave me Alan Morris' name and
number when I asked about a Central Coast bird observers club.  Much
appreciated.  Also to those who gave me some info on Myall Lakes.
Thanks.

Went up to the Park on Mon 18th.  Weather was terrible.  Heavy overcast,
strong winds. The rains came at 2.30pm and had to call it a day.
Finished with 47 species.

Tue was much better weather; sunny with light cloud cover, easing winds.
Ended with 50 species.

Wed much the same weatherwise.  Finished with 45 species.

General comments: There had been a violent storm the night before I
arrived.  There was a lot of damage; fallen trees and braches along
all the trails.
Never seen so many Rufous Fantails, they seem as curious as the Grey.
Also, lots of Rufous Whistlers and Sacred Kingfishers.  Noted Red-browed
Firetail, Lewin's He, Sacred Kingfisher and Rufous Whistler nesting.
Saw a male Koel nearly, but not quite, completely black.  Still had some
brown plumage on breast.  Also saw something that I think was a Speckled
Warbler but didn't get a good enough look.

Total for the 3 days was 71 species, 4 lifers.  Not bad but I was hoping
for a few more.  Anyway, list follows.  Note: L=lifer, *=2-5, and **=6+.

Species seen at Myall Lakes NP and surrounds.

Black-Cockatoo  Yellow-tailed **
Brush-turkey  Australian
Cicadabird L**
Cormorant  Little Pied