birding-aus

White-browed Woodswallows

Subject: White-browed Woodswallows
From: "Robert H. McNaught, Anglo-Australian Observatory" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:01:43 +1100 (EST)
Like Lawrie, I was pleased to see White-browed Woodswallows recently.  During
the storms on Nov 17 around Coonabarabran, a persistent chirruping made me seek
out the culprits.  A flock of about 50 White-browed were perched in a tree at
Siding Spring Observatory (1100m elevation), Coonabarabran.  They seemed to be
about half and half adults and immatures. The dark blustery conditions made
some difficult to identify when flying, but I never convinced myself that there
were any Masked amongst them.  If so, it was only a small proportion.  Despite
the stormy conditions, it appears they were keeping ahead of the strong winds
which hit about 15 minutes later bringing down many trees (crushing two
unoccupied cars in the process), even more branches, unroofing several houses,
and killing two emus and a camel (at Miniland).  I guess having wings can have
its advantages.

Cheers, Rob McNaught

Siding Spring Observatory, Coonabarabran, NSW
(on edge of Warrumbungle Nat Park)