birding-aus

1996 Twitchathon

To: BIRDING-AUS Mail <>
Subject: 1996 Twitchathon
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 10:31:05 +1000 (EET)
Congratulations to all the teams.

The reconstituted Common Driving-Petrolheads had somewhat mixed success,
and we ended up in about the same position relative to the top three teams
again (ie. left in their dust!), but we had fun and saw some great birds.
Our highlights included Red-capped Robin (pair with flying young),
Buff-banded Rail, Painted Honeyeater, Gilbert's Whistler, Greater Sand
Plover, and a fullish set of thornbills (Yellow, Striated, Brown,
Buff-rumped, Yellow-rumped, Chestnut-rumped).

My recollections from the presentation ceremony are a bit fuzzy due to
fatigue, but I think that the winning team got a shade over 200 species,
second place in the mid 190s, and third place nearly 180.  We got fourth
place, with 159 (one species better than last year).  The abundance of
water made things hard; many migrants & nomads were not around this year;
and, some sites did not perform up to their usual high standards - but the
top teams showed how it should be done.

Just in case anyone is interested, our list follows.

Lawrie Conole
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1996 VICTORIAN TWITCHATHON, 24 hours, 26-27 October 1996

The Common Driving-Petrolheads (Lawrie Conole, Grant Baverstock, Stuart
Dashper, Susan Myers)

START

TERRICK TERRICK STATE PARK
Australian (Mallee) Ringneck
Tree Martin
Rufous Songlark
White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
Striated Pardalote
Rainbow Bee-eater
Little Eagle
Red-rumped Parrot
Galah
White-plumed Honeyeater
Common Bronzewing
Brown Treecreeper
White-winged Chough
Eastern Rosella
Mistletoebird
Australian Raven
Grey Shrike-thrush
Peaceful Dove
Gilbert's Whistler
Rufous Whistler
Australian Magpie
Jacky Winter
Hooded Robin
Diamond Firetail
Varied Sittella
Shining Bronze-Cuckoo
White-winged Triller
Chestnut-rumped Thornbill
Red-capped Robin
Yellow-rumped Thornbill
Sacred Kingfisher
Willie Wagtail
Superb Fairy-wren

MITIAMO TO MARYBOROUGH
Cockatiel
Magpie-lark
Black-shouldered Kite
*Common Starling
Nankeen Kestrel
Welcome Swallow
Laughing Kookaburra
Grey Teal
Australian Shelduck
*House Sparrow
Brown Falcon
Crested Pigeon
Singing Bushlark
Weebill
White-faced Heron
Golden-headed Cisticola
Fairy Martin
Pacific Black Duck
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Straw-necked Ibis
Little Raven
Yellow-billed Spoonbill
Long-billed Corella
White-necked Heron
Black Swan
Noisy Miner
Masked Lapwing
Red Wattlebird
*Rock Dove
Brown Goshawk
*Common Blackbird
New Holland Honeyeater
Clamorous Reed-Warbler
Eurasian Coot
Musk Duck
Purple Swamphen
Swamp Harrier

CLUNES STATE FOREST
Fuscous Honeyeater
Painted Honeyeater
Purple-crowned Lorikeet
Yellow-tufted Honeyeater
Little Lorikeet
Musk Lorikeet
Dusky Woodswallow
Whistling Kite
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
White-naped Honeyeater
Crimson Rosella
Restless Flycatcher
White-browed Babbler
Australian Wood Duck
Australian White Ibis
Grey Currawong
Eastern Yellow Robin
Grey Fantail

MEREDITH STATE FOREST, BRISBANE RANGES
Southern Boobook

DAY 2

MEREDITH STATE FOREST
Brown Thornbill
White-throated Treecreeper
White-eared Honeyeater
Crested Shrike-tit
Satin Flycatcher
White-browed Scrubwren
Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo
Spotted Pardalote

STEIGLITZ HISTORIC PARK, BRISBANE RANGES
Fan-tailed Cuckoo
*European Goldfinch
Olive-backed Oriole
Pallid Cuckoo
Striated Thornbill
Eastern Spinebill
Buff-rumped Thornbill
Brown-headed Honeyeater
Silvereye

MAUDE
Richard's Pipit

GEELONG, SUBURBS
Cattle Egret
*Common Myna
*Spotted Turtle-Dove
Silver Gull

BELMONT COMMON WILDLIFE RESERVE, GEELONG
Dusky Moorhen
Australian Pelican
Little Grassbird
Great Cormorant