birding-aus

experience at Round Hill

Subject: experience at Round Hill
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:46:26 +1000 (EST)
Just thought I'd tell everyone about an amusing experience I had at Round
Hill NR a couple of months ago.

I was camping and woke up before dawn and began prowling around. The day
before had been very windy, but there were hundreds of Honeyeaters around
(Black, White-fronted, Yellow-plumed and Grey-fronted). This morning was
very still and starry, with just a hint of dawn in the east. It was
absolutely silent, just me and the cosmos. And then one honeyeater suddenly
burst out with its call, and at once every honeyeater in the mallee was
clamouring away simultaneously. The noise was deafening, coming after such a
deep silence.

Dr John Leonard
PO Box 243, Woden,
ACT 2606, AUSTRALIA

"a major part of the work of praeter-modernity
will be the refabrication of authenticites."