birding-aus

RE: bird vocalisations

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: RE: bird vocalisations
From: "Osborn, Paul PR" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:01:01 +1000
Noisy Miners certainly have different alarm calls for different threats.
An earlier post of mine (about may-June 96) discussed the similarity
between the alarm calls of Noisy Miner and Grey Butcherbird in regard to
snakes. We only saw the snake because we were investigating an
unfamiliar alarm call. It is my experience that Noisy Miners even have
different alarm calls for different birds of prey, but I need more
observations before I can positively identify which alarm is for which
raptor. I recall a show on TV where David Attenborough discussed this
aspect of the behaviour of one of the American Jay family, or was it a
shrike?, in the semi arid country of the US. It was a bluish-grey bird
with a crest and it definitely had different alarm calls for raptors and
snakes.
Paul Osborn