birding-aus

Re: Also in the Mallee

To: "Maurovic, Mauro" <>
Subject: Re: Also in the Mallee
From: "RAOU Conservation (Hugo Phillipps)" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 11:40:32 +1000 (EST)
At 08:49 9/10/96 -0300, you wrote:

>There was one other interesting thing that my daughter and I saw at Bolton's
>Bore.  A pair of un-shy Pallid Cuckoos were swooping down over our heads (as
>we sat under their tree) and catching and eating the large tadpoles that
>were in a claypan.

Mauro - I have passed on your very interesting observation to the HANZAB
Section Editor for Food, Khalid Al-Dabbagh, as it appears that it has not
been recorded before.  Any other details, such as the species of tadpole, as
well as how they were being caught, would be welcome.  I feel that such
sightings should probably be published - and this does reopen the question
of how one cites birding-aus messages.  We are going to have to accept that
electronic citation will become increasingly common.  Anyway - the main
point that I would like to pass on is that people are seeing things all the
time that have never been formally recorded - so please do not assume that
they are - and please, please let us all know about them.

Thanks,  Hugo.

Hugo Phillipps,
RAOU Conservation & Liaison,
Australian Bird Research Centre,
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East, VIC 3123, Australia.
Tel: +61 3 9882 2622. Fax: +61 3 9882 2677.
Email: <>
The Virtual Emu: http://www.vicnet.net.au/~raou/raou.html