birding-aus

papuan harriers

Subject: papuan harriers
From: (Eric J Woehler)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 12:02:31 +1000
Hello everyone - a query for you. I recently heard of an unconfirmed
sighting of a Papuan Harrier on Swan Island (north coast of Tasmania in
Bass Strait) "a couple of years ago". Does anyone else know of this? Was it
ever confirmed? Was it a mix up in identification? Have there been other
sightings away from the Cape York region?

Interest has been re-kindled as there has been a subsequent sighting of a
Papuan Harrier just recently (not me) and the second observer learnt about
the earlier sighting after his observation. I believe a number of slides
were taken during this most recent sighting, but havent seen them yet.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.
All best
Eric