birding-aus

25.8.96. Wollongong pelagic seabird trip

Subject: 25.8.96. Wollongong pelagic seabird trip
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:25:34 EST10
25.8.96. WOLLONGONG PELAGIC SEABIRD TRIP

A very unusual day for this time of year. Water temperature 19.3oC was
exceptionally high for this time of year and may account for the lack of birds
and high numbers of fish and cetaceans. The highlight of the day was catching
SIX Yellow-finned Tuna between 30 and 60 Kgs and about 12 Albacore.
The tuna were swimming around the boat eating the chum and annoying the odd
Albatross something that none of us including the captain had ever seen before.
There was a pod of about 300 dolphins about 3 Kms away which were continually
jumping out showing noticeably white underparts. It is suspected that these
were rare Southern Right Whale Dolphins.

Incredibly there have been no Prions on either of the August trips this year.
Also unusual, and presumably a factor of the warm water, was the lack of any
White-headed Petrels or Southern Skuas.

Departed at 7.00 am and returned at 8.00 pm.
1 Metre swell, 10 knot Northerly winds.
We reached 35 Nautical Miles E of Wollongong.

We had a total of 19 species with no rarities. Great views of all species.

THE BIRDS

Fairy Penguin (40+)
Wandering Albatross 2 (1 of the subspecies exulans 1 of gibsoni)
Black-browed Albatross 10+
Yellow-nosed Albatross 30+
Shy Albatross 6+
Southern Giant Petrel 1 (Juvenile)
Cape Petrel 2+
Solander's Petrel 30+
White-faced Storm-Petrel 1+
Wedge-tailed Shearwater 10+
Fluttering Shearwater 10+
Hutton's Shearwater 200+
Australasian Gannet 30+
Australasian Pelican 8
Great Cormorant 1
Silver Gull 300+
Kelp Gull 2
Crested Tern 30+
White-fronted Tern 8+

Humpback Whale 1next to the boat
Southern Right Whale 1
2-300 Dolphins possible Southern Right Whale Dolphins

These Pelagics go out  from Wollongong (next is 22.9.96.) and Sydney (next
14.9.96.). I recommend you bring Bins, Sea-sickness pills, Food and Drink in
that order. Also check out Tony Palliser's Pelagic Home Page for up-to-date
information and pelagic news. So please get back in touch with me
 or Tony Palliser
 if you would like to book any places on the
boat. THIS IS THE LAST BOAT TRIP THAT I WILL BE ORGANISING I AM MOVING BACK TO
ENGLAND FOR A YEAR OR SO. WE MAY HAVE A PARTY ON BOARD!!
If you would like any other information do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers
Phil Hansbro, Ph; 06-249 3091 (w), 06-249 8234 (h).
Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association,
 RSBS, ANU, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia.

Fax; 06-2494891