birding-aus

Re: Zoe Imperial Pigeon

To: "Chris Chafer" <>
Subject: Re: Zoe Imperial Pigeon
From: Bill Venables <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 12:55:48 +0930
Chris Chafer writes:

 > In 1990 a paper appeared in Austrlian Bird Watcher suggesting
 > Zoe Imperial Pigeons may occur in rainforests of northern Cape
 > York Penn (based on an unknown call).  Does anyone know if this
 > has been confirmed, and if so where is the most likely spot to
 > go hunting?

Not according to my local sources, who are usually pretty reliably
informed, but I can put you in touch with them if you like.

Just a couple of side comments.  There is not a great deal of real
rainforest on Cape York Penn. north of the Daintree but there are
a lot of vine thickets of one sort or another.  The pockets of (at
least near) rainforest I know of are in the McIlwraith and Iron
Ranges, near the Jardine River and at the very tip.

Also, if you have not had much experience in birdwatching in
rainforests they can be very frustrating places in which to find
anything.  You can be surrounded by birds of many types and see at
most a few dark shadows up very high.  In the "Taman Burung" (Bird
Park) in Kuala Lumpur there is a rainforest-like enclosure where
you are invited to count the number of species you see as you walk
through it.  The total is 40, but I have never met anyone who
managed to see more than 15, and that is in a *caged* rainforest.
They can also be pretty uncomfortable places.

This is not to say Cape York Penn. is not worth a trip, of
course.  In fact it's one of the best places I know, and I have
been back there 5 times now...

--
"It is no exaggeration to conclude that the Internet has
 achieved, and continues to achieve, the most participatory