birding-aus

pelagic trip in New Zealand

Subject: pelagic trip in New Zealand
From: (Martin Renner)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 18:12:09 +1200
This is a report on the latest birdwatching trip on the R.V. Munida went
out on the 17 May. We were only guests on a trip dedicated to oceanography
so we could not use chum.  There was a 20 knots westerly wind and a 4 m
swell.  We reached a maximum water depth of 126 m, about 12 miles from the
coast.

Yellow-eyed Penguin             11
Little Blue Penguin             8
Northern Royal Albatross        1       + 8 in colony
Shy Mollymawk                   19
Buller's Mollymawk              167
Northern Giant Petrel           1       +1 spec
Cape Pigeon                     169
Short-tailed Shearwater         12      +9 Sooty/Short-tailed
Sooty Shearwater                5
Red-billed Gull                 lots inshore
Spotted Shag                    ca. 3000 in one big raft close to the coast
Stewart Island Shag             3       + lots inshore
Australasian Gannet             1 juv.
Southern Black-backed Gull      lots inshore
White-fronted Tern              lots inshore
Black-fronted Tern              37
Goldfinch                       5 (about 8 miles offshore!)

Dusky Dolphin                   14
Fur Seal                        4

A trip planed for the 26 May had to be cancled due to bad weather.  The
next trip is scheduled for June 29.

Martin

Martin Renner                       email:
Department of Zoology                 fax:  ++64-3-479 7584
University of Otago                 phone:  03-479 7665 (work)
P.O. Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand           03-455 7511 (home)

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
        -- Isaac Asimov