birding-aus

Wollongong june 1996

Subject: Wollongong june 1996
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 18:37:52 EST10
23.6.96 WOLLONGONG PELAGIC SEABIRD TRIP

Departed at 7.10 am and returned at 12.00 noon due to bad weather.
2-3 Metre swell, 20 knot winds which were forecast to increase to 30 knots in
the afternoon.

We only reached 10 Nautical Miles East of WOLLONGONG.

We had a poor trip only going out for half a day due to bad weather. this is
only the second time it's happened from Wollongong in 4 years. We had total of
species.

Those on board (14); Phil Hansbro (leader), Tony Palliser, Peter Milburn, Alex
Watson, John Reidy, Chris Brandis, Paul McDonald, Richard Yank, Bill McLean,
Paul Taylor, Tania Ireton, Harvey Perkins, Kevin Doyle and Tom Wilanowski.
Thanks to all for their support.

THE BIRDS

Black-browed Albatross (10+, at least 2 of which were of the subspecies
impavida)
Yellow-nosed Albatross (100+)
Solander's Petrel (100+)
Great-winged Petrel (50+)
Fairy Prion (5+)
Fluttering Shearwater (15+)
Australasian Gannet (5+)
Australian Pelican (6)
Kelp Gull (3)
Silver Gull (50+)
Crested Tern (5+)
White-fronted Tern (2)

Please get back in touch if you would like to book any places on the next
Wollongong boat which goes on the 28.7.96.
If you would like any other information do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers
Phil Hansbro
Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association

(h) 06-249 8234 (w) 06-249 3091
Fax; 06-249 4891