birding-aus

January '96 Wollongong trip report

Subject: January '96 Wollongong trip report
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 13:09:25 EST10
WOLLONGONG BOAT TRIP REPORT - 28.1.95.

Those (10 PEOPLE ONLY - THANKS FOR THEIR SUPPORT!!!) on board: Phil Hansbro
(UK), Virginia Owen (UK), Peter Milburn (UK), Alexander Watson (AUS), Chris
Brandis (AUS), John Reidy (AUS), Ian Fisher (UK), Ian McMahon (UK), Catherine
Gray (UK), Tristan Ap Rheinallt (UK).

Yet another dismal turnout by Australians!!

The sea had a 2M swell and there was a 10-15 knot Southerly. We headed South
East to 3 trawlers which held most of the birds.
A White-necked Petrel and at least 1 Streaked Shearwater were the highlights. A
single probable Buller's Shearwater was also seen.

BIRD LIST

Great-winged Petrel 20+
WHITE-NECKED PETREL 1 gave excellent views
STREAKED SHEARWATER 1+
BULLER'S SHEARWATER 1 probable
Flesh-footed Shearwater 5+
Wedge-tailed Shearwater 200+
Short-tailed Shearwater 10+
Fluttering Shearwater 3+
A. Pelican 2
Kelp Gull 8+
Silver Gull 300
Arctic Skua 4+
Pomarine Skua 20+
Long-tailed Skua 3+
Crested Tern 10+

MINKE WHALE 1

The next trip from Wollongong is on Sunday the 25th of Feb and there are lots
of places left.
Cheers
Phil Hansbro
Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association
If you would like to go on any pelagic trips off NSW, contact me as follows;
Email;
Ph; (h) 06-2498234, (w) 06-2493091.
Fax; 06-2494891.