birding-aus

Re: Best birding experience of 95

Subject: Re: Best birding experience of 95
From: Bill Venables <>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 15:17:07 +1030
My best for 95 has to be seeking, and finding, the pale bellied
form of the crimson finch in Lakefield National Park.  We didn't
rate our chances very high, and it was really needle in a
haystack stuff, but suddenly after a few hours there he was, a
male in full breeding plumage, not three metres in front of us,
on a rubber vine in full sunlight.  Exquisite!  We saw females
and several other clearly lesser rank males as well soon after.

However on the same trip we came across several little flocks of
black throated finches, notably near old tailings dam at Mt
Carbine.  Like Lawrie I found that a very exciting experience,
too.

And also, like Kieth, we saw bustards in the same area, looking
as supercillious as ever.

Best wishes to all.

Bill