birding-aus

A Poorly Designed Wader Roost?

Subject: A Poorly Designed Wader Roost?
From: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 95 13:30:37 EDT
After four visits to the recently developed man made wader roost at
Stockton Bridge, near Newcastle NSW it is rather disappointing but not
surprising to see that the Waders are not using the area.

I believe that this is because it is poorly designed and will not work
for the following reasons:

1. The area is a little too close to the main road
2. Waders prefer a larger field of view.  This site used to be used
   some years ago but there were less mangroves obstructing the view
   and a greater field of view was possible.
4. The sandy embankment provides a feeling of being totally enclosed
   and unsafe.
5. Arriving waders prefer to be at the edge of the rising tide upon
   arrival at a roost.  A sort of settling down process until they are
   comfortable with the safety of the location.
6. The area is not secure.  On two of the four visits the pond was in
   use as a swimming pool for children and dogs.

I would be interested to find out if anyone has ever seen waders at
this roost?  I seriously doubt whether the waders will ever roost at
this site the way it is at the moment.  It would be a shame to see all
this good work go to waste, with a little more thought this site and
others in the area could be of real value not only for birders but for
the birds
too.

Does anyone know who I should write to?  I think something has to be
done here and if necessary I will start the ball moving.

Regards
Tony