birding-aus

Avoiding seasickness

Subject: Avoiding seasickness
From: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 95 09:01:09 EST
What are your views?
What precautions should one take to avoid seasickness?  After 10 plus
years of boat trips I have found that the following guidelines help but
are not 100%.  For an unfortunate few it would appear as though nothing
helps.  Could there be a psychological element?  I often wonder because
when a rarity appears, even on the roughest days the condition seems to
disappear, why?

Personally I find the following help (In order of importance)

1.A full 8 hours sleep the night before
2.A travel sickness tablet taken 1-2 Hours before departure and with bad
  weather predicted taken the night before and again in the morning. The
  side effect with most tablets are that they make you drowsy and dry your
  mouth. Some take "Nodoze" to help combat this but I'm not sure that this
  is very healthy!
3.Eat lots of dry foods such as crackers, breads and solid foods
  starting the night before.
4.Drink only water
5.When on board stay outside in the fresh air and stand up as much
  as possible
6.Try to remain occupied. Look for birds, maintain an hourly list,
  take photographs etc
7.look at the horizon as much as possible
8.Always bring wet weather gear

Have a great boat trip.

Regards
Tony Palliser                         Phone    +61 2 9900 1678
                                      Fax      +61 2 9900 1669
                                      Email