birding-aus

Long-billed Dowitcher

Subject: Long-billed Dowitcher
From: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 95 09:41:22 EST
News just in is that two Long-billed Dowitchers have been sighted on
private property at Barry's Beach near Wilson's Promontory over the week
end. One of the birds was caught, photographed, banded and released.

Mike Carter looked for them yesterday without success. This may have
been because they were frightened by the cannon nets ( I know I would be)
anyone wishing to look for these birds will need to get permission from
the land owners.  Unfortunately the roost where the birds were caught is
only used on very extreme high tides.  So with this one there will be a
higher than usual amount of luck for anyone considering going for them.

I have to admit that I have severe reservations about the usefulness of
banding waders, mainly because I have seen so many killed in the process.
Habitat preservation and regular counts surely would be a much more useful
exercise??

Regards
Tony Palliser                         Phone     +61 2 900 1477
Shipping Manager                      Fax       +61 2 929 7805
Shipping Department                   Hotline   +61 2 900 1860
Oracle Systems - Sydney               Email