wilyfans

Re: Anyone out there to help with Wily?

To: Mack Wallace <>, "" <>
Subject: Re: Anyone out there to help with Wily?
From: "James A. Robinson" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 17:38:49 +0000
On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 7:12 AM Mack Wallace <> wrote:
> seem to get wcat to compile. There are two .h files which I don’t
> have. There’s a util.h and a libmsg.h that are missing. I know that
> the util.h is probably a shortcoming of the Amiga SVr4 installation,
> but the libmsg.h I presume is part of the libmsg library that is
> compiled as part of Wily. Looking at the includes, there is a msg.h,
> and the calls in this are similar to one in wcat.h. However, there
> are some items, like Mqueue, that are not in msg.h. I’m presuming
> that this is because the old libmsg library may have had a different
> interface? Is there a fix for this?

Cracking open the old archive I had of wily tools, I see a version
of wcat with these includes:

./tools/c/wcat.c
#include <unistd.h>
#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>
#include <libg.h>
#include <msg.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <limits.h>

(I've put the tar ball here, and will leave it up for a few days:

And from https://github.com/knusbaum/Wily I see these:

./wily/tools/old/wilytoys/toys/wcat.c
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>
#include <util.h>
#include <libg.h>
#include <libmsg.h>

./wily/tools/old/wilytoys/wcat.c
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>
#include <util.h>
#include <libg.h>
#include <libmsg.h>

./wily/tools/quanstro/wcat.c
#include <unistd.h>
#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>
#include <libg.h>
#include <msg.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <sys/limits.h>

Looking at these four blocks of includes, the first and last ones
in that last look to be pretty self contained (and I suspect the
latter was almost surely from Erik Quanstrom who is very active on
the 9fans list, but the last I message I see from him to wilyfans was
in 2001).  Have you got unistd.h, signal.h, and either limits.h
or sys/limits.h in your local system?

> Second, there is a ./tools/win. Per the readme, this is a simple
> terminal that resides in a Wily window? I have managed to compile
> this. However, when I try to invoke it in Wily, I get ‘/bin/sh:
> win: not found.’ If I try to run it from the command line, it says
> ‘win: unable to open master pty at win.c:729 in openmaster(). I
> assume this is saying that it can’t find the Wily program running
> (even though it is).

Yes, win is a terminal system meant to be run from within Wily
itself, rather like Acme win.  That error, "/bin/sh: win not found"
sounds simply like your environment wasn't set up with an execution
path that included the win binary.

I honestly can't recall if there was anything special about running
wily / win, it's been too long, but if you haven't already tried
this I would try setting your PATH variable, or whatever the
equivalent is under Amiga's shell, before launching the wily
editor.

For example, if I had a dir /home/jimr/bin/wily/ that contained
wcat and win, and I were setting up PATH for the first time and
launching the editor:

$ PATH=/home/jimr/bin/wily:/home/jimr/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
$ export PATH
$ wily

normally that PATH setting would be in some standard file, like
/home/jimr/.bashrc if I were running bash under Linux or Mac OS X.

> So aside from the questions I have above, is there anybody out >
there?

Out here as in existing?  Or out here and still using Wily?  I was
forced to leave off using Wily when I moved to a Mac and it's amazing
one-button-mouse-to-rule-them-all, and then years later went to use
Plan9port when I came back to the Plan 9 tools (w/ it's modifier keys
so  I could actually make use of chording-oriented commands).

I don't think there is much activity on this list.  The last email I have
in my archive is from 2006...

Jim