wilyfans

Re: wily in cygwin

Subject: Re: wily in cygwin
From: Don McLane <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 18:44:50 -0700
 wrote:
On Wed Jun  7 23:13:44 CDT 2006,  wrote:
I just started using Wily and had some questions/comments. I'm running it in cygwin (which is probably the source of my problems).

Is it supposed to display "$PWD" in the tag? Seems like that's an expression that should be evaluated somehow.

you need to kill the PWD environment variable; e.g.
        bash$ PWD= wily
although i noticed that wily is fooled by variables with values like ".".

Yes, I can get rid of the "$PWD" in the tag if I start wily like that ... but, opps, now I have to change $HOME too. And who knows what else. Is this really a feature?

[snip]
Shouldn't I be able to right-click on "../" and open a window in the parent directory?

you should.

I seem to have a talent for being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong assumptions. It's a cygwin thing. I happened to be in the cygwin root, "/", but knew that I was really in "C:/cygwin" and expected that right clicking would jump up to "C:". Well it doesn't do that in the cygwin shell either (you have to go to "/cygdrive/c" to get to the "C:/" directory).

[snip]

Yes I actually starting looking at acme with the plan9port on linux. Wily was attractive because it would run both on linux and windows (via cygwin). It's not that I like windows, it's just that I'm stuck with it for some things. I also looked at the Inferno/SAC port on windows, however they only run plan9 commands, not native commands.

Comparing wily with acme; there are some nits: I like wily because the up/down arrow controls cursor movement. Although I like acme because the scroll wheel works.

Wily seems better behaved, for instance try right clicking on "Program Files/" in acme (Inferno/SAC). Too bad! But wily doesn't complain. (No, I don't like spaces in directory names, but they're there and I have to deal with it).

The big feature that acme seems to have is the "win" command. There are a lot of important programs that are textually interactive. Consider gpg, mutt, or configuring the linux kernel before compilation. In acme, I wonder why "Win" isn't in the top tag, it seems a natural for the center-left cord.

Why not use "Copy" instead of "Snarf"?  Familiar names ease the transition.

Cheers,
Don