wilyfans

Re: wily 0.13.42

To: ozan s yigit <>
Subject: Re: wily 0.13.42
From: Gary Capell <>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:06:05 +1000
On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:49:38PM -0400, ozan s yigit wrote:

> > 1. Binary files. Load a binary fily, /bin/echo for example, and Put it
> > again as a different filename. The two files are different.
>
> hmm, you are right this is a yet-unfixed one. :-P i have just tried
> the older version on osX and freebsd and indeed files are clobbered....

I'm not sure this is a bug we want to fix?  I'm guessing that this
is because (not surprisingly) some bits of /bin/echo aren't valid
UTF8.  To fix it we'd have to maintain two copies of the file:
the version with valid UTF, and the original version with invalid
UTF.  Actually, that just lets us replace 'Put' with a no-op,
of writing back the original data.

What _might_ make sense is to mark a file as Read Only (or
something) when the utf parsing has made changes that will
be destructive when we write it back?

... or I could be completely misunderstanding the problem.

--
Gary Capell <>