[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 7120

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 7120
From: "" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 02:46:46 +0000
There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: yahoo groups demise
    From:  ccavigioli
1b. Re: yahoo groups demise
    From: Wim van Dam
1c. Re: yahoo groups demise
    From: John Crockett

Messages
1a. Re: yahoo groups demise
    Posted by:   ccavigioli
    Date: Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:43 am ((PST))

What is the NAME of the group at groups.io?  Has it been created yet?

Messages in this topic (18)
1b. Re: yahoo groups demise
    Posted by: "Wim van Dam"  wim_van_dam
    Date: Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:01 am ((PST))

> No. All data is downloaded (excepts other people's photo's)
Ha! You're right. That's a reasonable way of at least saving the written
material of groups that don't make the transfer to groups.io. Thanks for
correcting my misunderstanding.

Completely unrelated to this topic: Do people on this list have any
experience with AudioMoth?
https://www.openacousticdevices.info/audiomoth
I'm tempted to try it for recording bats in California.

Wim van Dam
Solvang, CA

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 12:03 PM
 [naturerecordists] <
> wrote:

> Hi Wim,
>
> No. *All* data is downloaded (excepts other people's photo's) - I'm
> pretty sure I haven't created 205 megabytes worth of messages to the forum.
> 😉
>
> I quick look at the files shows this to be true.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve.
>

> ------------------------------

Messages in this topic (18)
1c. Re: yahoo groups demise
    Posted by: "John Crockett"  naturalcontemplative
    Date: Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:12 pm ((PST))

Wim,

We have used AudioMoths in one project to date. They can take a while
to arrive from Germany as the manufacturers seem to do only periodic
production runs, so not necessarily available on demand.

It's a vulnerable little unit, only protected from weather by a
plastic bag, and not protected at all if dropped, or nibbled by a
squirrel, etc. They are quite noisy, and mono only, so certainly not
useful for creating high fidelity recordings. But for presence/
absence or abundance studies, an affordable alternative.  We will
continue to use them especially where the study requires deploying
multiple units, because there is no less expensive way to do that
that I know of.

Happy to answer specific questions if I can.

John

John Crockett
Westminster, Vermont

On Nov 9, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Wim van Dam
[naturerecordists] wrote:

> > No. All data is downloaded (excepts other people's photo's)
> Ha! You're right. That's a reasonable way of at least saving the
> written material of groups that don't make the transfer to
> groups.io. Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding.
>
> Completely unrelated to this topic: Do people on this list have any
> experience with AudioMoth?
> https://www.openacousticdevices.info/audiomoth
> I'm tempted to try it for recording bats in California.
>
> Wim van Dam
> Solvang, CA
>

> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 12:03 PM
>  [naturerecordists]
> <> wrote:
>

> Hi Wim,
>
> No. All data is downloaded (excepts other people's photo's) - I'm
> pretty sure I haven't created 205 megabytes worth of messages to
> the forum. 😉
>
> I quick look at the files shows this to be true.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve.
>

> From:
> <> on behalf of Wim van
>  [naturerecordists]
> <>
> Sent: 06 November 2019 19:39
> To:
> <>
> Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: yahoo groups demise
>

> Just to clarify: this kind of request will only get you your
> personal data, not the data of the whole group that you are a
> member of.
>
> The groups.io people are getting a lot of requests for transfers
> and the clock is ticking so we have to move quickly if we want to
> save the data of this group.
>
> Wim van Dam
> Solvang, CA
>
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:45 AM
> [naturerecordists] <> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>
> If it's any use I put in a Yahoo data download request and got the
> files for the groups I'm a member of including 'naturerecordists'.
> I have the files, about 205 Mbs, and these will be in .mbox file
> format which can be easily accessed via appropriate software.
>
> That same data can be obtained by any group member requesting a
> data download.
>
> https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN28671.html
>
> Cheers,
> Steve.