Re: Sony PCM-A10

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-A10
From: "Flawn Williams" flawn1951
Date: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:45 pm ((PST))
> Also, the =93wide" setting of the mics: Even if they are cardioid mics, h=
ow 'wide' can you get from two capsules spaced 1.5"  apart?

> A common complaint about the M10 was the poor stereo separation, so perha=
ps
> this addresses that.

They may be doing some variant of mid-side processing, suppressing the sign=
al that=92s common to the two capsules to enhance what is different in the =
two channels. That would make it =91wide=92.

=97Flawn

> On Dec 24, 2018, at 9:32 PM,  wrote:
>
> There are 2 messages in this issue.
>
> Topics in this digest:
>
> 1a. Re: Sony PCM-A10
>    From: Gregory O'Drobinak
> 1b. Re: Sony PCM-A10
>    From: Peter Shute
>

> Messages
> 1a. Re: Sony PCM-A10
>    Posted by: "Gregory O'Drobinak"  gmo_dune=
s2
>    Date: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:36 pm ((PST))
>
> Well, there are no definitive specs for the self-noise of the mic preamps=
..The "manual" is a very simple (i.e., not very explanatory) two-pager that=
 lacks an immense amount of details.Note the "On noise" paragraph in the ma=
nual which is really quite a joke!
> There is a jack for an external mic, but no details about it.
> There is much talk about connectivity to smart phones, which IMHO, I do n=
ot find pleasing at all.When things like that are touted more than 'real sp=
ecs', it really makes me question the design and its usefulness for serious=
 recording.
> Also, the "wide" setting of the mics: Even if they are cardioid mics, how=
 'wide' can you get from two capsules spaced 1.5"  apart?

> So, I am not the least bit enticed from the initial docs to even want to =
make a trip to a store to check it out.I am very glad that my PCM-M10 is st=
ill alive, as is my Roland R-05.

org.au [naturerecordists] <> wrote:

> Have any of you tried the new Sony PCM-A10 yet? I'm not sure how it compa=
res to the M10, it's a lot smaller.
> https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/voice-recorders/pcm-a10
> Peter Shute
>

> Messages in this topic (3)
> 1b. Re: Sony PCM-A10
>    Posted by: "Peter Shute"  pshute2
>    Date: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:00 am ((PST))
>
> You must have clicked on the Operating Instructions link, Gregory. I made
> the same mistake. The real manual is the "Help Guide", which is 257 pages=
 -
> https://helpguide.sony.net/icd/pcma10/v1/en2/print.pdf
>
> I think the phone connectivity might just be a replacement for the remote
> control, with a few extra features.
>
> A common complaint about the M10 was the poor stereo separation, so perha=
ps
> this addresses that.
>
> Peter Shute
>
> On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 at 5:37 pm, Gregory O'Drobinak =
net
> [naturerecordists] <> wrote:
>

>> Well, there are no definitive specs for the self-noise of the mic preamp=
s..
>> The "manual" is a very simple (i.e., not very explanatory) two-pager tha=
>> lacks an immense amount of details.
>> Note the "On noise" paragraph in the manual which is really quite a joke=
!

>> There is a jack for an external mic, but no details about it.
>>
>> There is much talk about connectivity to smart phones, which IMHO, I do
>> not find pleasing at all.
>> When things like that are touted more than 'real specs', it really makes
>> me question the design and its usefulness for serious recording.
>>
>> Also, the "wide" setting of the mics: Even if they are cardioid mics, ho=
>> 'wide' can you get from two capsules spaced 1.5"  apart?
>>

>> So, I am not the least bit enticed from the initial docs to even want to
>> make a trip to a store to check it out.
>> I am very glad that my PCM-M10 is still alive, as is my Roland R-05.
>>

>> Looking forward to some real-world specs and rigorous testing of this un=
it.

>> Ciao,
>> Gregory
>>

>> On Sunday, December 23, 2018, 10:15:00 AM CST, Peter Shute
>>  [naturerecordists] <>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Have any of you tried the new Sony PCM-A10 yet? I'm not sure how it
>> compares to the M10, it's a lot smaller.
>>
>> https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/voice-recorders/pcm-a10
>>
>> Peter Shute
>>

> Messages in this topic (3)

> sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause.

> Yahoo Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: