Re: mid-side confusion

Subject: Re: mid-side confusion
From: "Duncan Whitley" shotgunsounds
Date: Sun Oct 7, 2018 4:31 am ((PDT))
Many thanks Borja and Guile!

That=92s all easy enough. I knew you could go back and forth encoding/ deco=
ding MS > XY > MS, but I wasn=92t 100% sure this was going to work having p=
lugged the M into the right channel and S into the left. I thought perhaps =
somehow the hyper-cardiod M not having two opposing lobes might make recove=
ry of the original channels impossible=85 good to know it makes no odds :)

The Voxengo MS matrix looks really useful. I=92ve tended to =93 anually" en=
code MS > XY by setting up the channels in a software mixer but the plug ha=
s some interesting features

Cheers

Duncan

> Wondering if anyone with mid-side knowledge can help me out on this one. =
I made some recordings last night and in the dark mistakenly plugged the S =
into the left-channel of my recorder, and the M into the right. Usually thi=
s wouldn=92t be problem for me to rectify as I tend to record in MS on disc=
rete mono channels and decode later - however, on this occasion I decoded t=
o XY stereo inside the matrix box of the mic.

> Is it possible to recover the original M and S channels from the XY stere=
o decoded recordings? My intuition says =93no=94, but wondered if anyone ha=
d any knowledge on this.

> It=92s easy enough to derive the M and S from the XY stereo when the chan=
nels have been decoded to stereo correctly in the 1st place, but I=92m not =
sure in this case if it still works.

Second option, you can use a M/S processing plugin to convert the XY signal=
 you derived back to MS. That will bring up your original files.

Once you have done that you can exchange the channels and convert back to L=
R, this time using the correct channels for M and S. Anyway the
result is the same as inverting the phase of one of the decoded channels (o=
ption number 1 in my email).

This MS matrix is free and it should solve your problem. Also remember that=
 you can apply these techniques to some XY stereo recordings as long
as the capsules were close enough (talking about the Rode Videomic X, etc).

https://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/ <https://www.voxengo.com/product/msed=
/>

Borja.

<*> Your email settings: