Re: SD MixPre recorders: 192kHz ultrasonic problem?

Subject: Re: SD MixPre recorders: 192kHz ultrasonic problem?
From: "Wilbur Hershberger" wil_hershberger
Date: Fri May 4, 2018 9:04 am ((PDT))
Zach,
The latest I heard that it was under investigation and they are narrowing i=
n on the cause. There is no word as to what that cause is as of yet.
I would hold off and see what happens in the coming weeks.
The distortion appears to happen with 192kHz recordings are slowed down to =
generate sound effects. I have not seen the clipping with 192kHz recordings=
 that were not edited in that way. However, there is a lot of hight frequen=
cy =93hash=94 that appears on these recordings even with mics that cannot r=
ecord those frequencies. So, we=92ll have to wait and see..
I hope that this helps,

Wil Hershberger
Nature Images and Sounds, LLC <http://www.natureimagesandsounds.com/>
Hedgesville, WV
The Songs of Insects <http://www.songsofinsects.com/>

> On May 4, 2018, at 11:48 AM, Zach Poff  [naturerecordists] =
<> wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> Has anybody on the list analyzed ultrasound recordings from the Sound Dev=
ices MixPre recorders?

> I read on the Sound Devices Facebook group that there's a known problem c=
ausing strange clipping-like distortion in the ultrasound region when recor=
ding with high samplerates. Does anybody else have experience with this? I'=
m on the fence about buying a MixPre-6. SD says they're working on it but I=
 wonder whether it's fixable via firmware or will require shipping it back =
for repair.