[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6978

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6978
From: "" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 02:00:52 +0000
There are 2 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: Dispelling yet another myth
    From: kev.
1b. Re: Dispelling yet another myth
    From: Bernie Krause

Messages
1a. Re: Dispelling yet another myth
    Posted by: "kev."  weaveofkev
    Date: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:09 am ((PDT))

Bernie.You've suggested Sugarloaf Ridge State Park in which I have visited
and recorded so many beautiful sounds before the Santa Rosa fire. Do you
happen to have another suggestion on an area without overflights? The
overflights have been a huge problem for me over the last 4 months. It has
prevented me from completing 2 important sound libraries which are on hold
due to this.

--
“Have you ever heard a blindfolded octopus unwrap a cellophane-covered
bathtub?”

Messages in this topic (6)
1b. Re: Dispelling yet another myth
    Posted by: "Bernie Krause"  bigchirp1
    Date: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:28 am ((PDT))

Sure. In the panhandle of New Mexico, I and a colleague recorded for two weeks
with one single engine (prop) flyover in and around the Animus Mountains at a
former Nature Conservancy site then called Gray Ranch. At a 3500 acre site in
the Anderson Valley (Sonoma), an undeveloped secondary growth forested habitat
owned and run by Sonoma State Univ., called Galbreath Reserve, I’ve recorded
for several hours without flyovers or road traffic noise. In west Marin and
parts of western Sonoma, there are some old growth stands of various kinds of
forest, also pretty quiet. The Trinity Mtns in Northern California are often
decent early in the morning as are several sites east of Red Bluff in Ishi
country SSW of Mt Rainier (but those are large private ranches that require
premission for access). Then there’s Alaska with many such sites. A few miles
to the NNE of Jackson, Wyoming, in the shadow of Jackson’s airport flight
paths, there’s a place called Spread Creek Pond where we’ve recorded dawn
choruses since 1981 without much interference.

So, yes. There are lots of places and times. One way to minimize and mitigate
the obvious problem would be to look at a flight path chart to see where the
most (and least) actiivity lies. Then, just do your best to avoid it and take
your chances.

BK

Wild Sanctuary
781 5th Street East