3. Tuning of cardioid

Subject: 3. Tuning of cardioid
From: "Klas" klasstrandberg
Date: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:19 pm ((PDT))
Hi Tom, I=B4m happy to explain:
First, Telinga is not using Behringer or Transsound stuff, but here is a
picture that explains:
http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/mics/2009-09-a/#TSB-165A

Suppose that you cut off the soldering lug in the middle. Suppose that
you make a round plate with the same thread as the screw in the middle.
Suppose that you put a dampening material between the "plate" and the
holes at the back of the diaphragm: Voila, what you get is a capsule
which, within limits, can be tuned from what it is (without plate) to
almost an omni, by tightening the dampening material.  I use a capsule
which is almost a super cardioid at delivery and that I can "tune" into
what I think sounds best.

I am not at all surprised that "Alice" gives a good sound. The principle
of making a "eight" out of two cardioids is well known, but risky for
outdoor use, as one of the mic bodies (incl. the mesh)  is connected to
the electrode of the other mic capsule, right?? If that is the case,
then do your best to isolate the "floating" capsule with a layer of
lacquer. The weak point is that you can=B4t isolate the mesh. If you can
accept that problem, you can even make a M/S mic for plug in power!

Working with mic=B4s is always surprising.... ask the micbuilders people...=
.

Klas.