Re: Soundcloud alternatives (wasSoundcloud woes)

Subject: Re: Soundcloud alternatives (wasSoundcloud woes)
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 am ((PDT))
Aaron, thank you so much for this!

-Dan

rdists] <> wrote:

> With apologies if this sounds self-promotional,
>
> the difference between the Internet Archive (archive.org <http://archive.=
org/>) and the commercial services mentioned, is that the Archive is a nonp=
rofit (NGO) organization whose core mission is to preserve cultural materia=
ls and make them available for all=96future, and current.

> We most definitely do not have the slickest widgets, or advanced social m=
edia, etc.; but that's because we spend our time focused on trying to prese=
rve the most material we can, as safely as possible, with no requirement to=
 reach quarterly profits etc.

> The looming demise of Soundcloud is just the latest in a long series of e=
ventual end-of-life events to services in which people have poured their wo=
rk... only to see it evaporate, often with meager notice.

> Part of what we try to convey to people is: however lovely, and convenien=
t, one of the defining characteristics of a cloud is its ephemerality.

> We also exist on the cloud; but we are an archive, and we take seriously =
the mission of long-term preservation.

> With that in mind I would urge people to use us as a safety store, in add=
ition to more feature rich commercial alternatives.

> As a side note, because of my passion for field recordings of all kinds, =
I hope myself to put some better organization in place when I can to organi=
ze and celebrate what we have. The challenge is always metadata...

> ...so if you do upload to us, please do provide the richest metadata you =
can. Best is to put it in the metadata fields of the items you create... bu=
t even including any sane format that details what you have, ensures that a=
 later generation of researcher (probably aided by very smart tools...!) wi=
ll be able to learn as much as possible about the context of your recording=
s. The Etree band taper community has set a fine example of recording rigor=
ous provenance etc.

> Final aside: for large collections, there are some very handy tools avail=
able to make wrangling and uploading many items (thousands or more...) with=
 appropriate metadata and multiple files, pretty easy. The native clunky 'u=
pload' tool for creating items one at a time is not the limiting factor. :)

o:>> wrote:
> I can also recommend archive.org <http://archive.org/>, especially for th=
e ability to upload
> and stream FLAC. Bandcamp has the same functionality pretty much.
> Archive.org or bandcamp are not the best places to showcase short
> previews, sketches, etc. though. I guess more people will take to
> Youtube for these kind of ephemeral uploads if Soundcloud disappears.
>
> On 2017-07-15 23:15, Aaron Ximm  <=
mail.com> [naturerecordists]
> wrote:
> > As an employee and believer in the nonprofit Internet Archive at archiv=
e.org <http://archive.org/>
> > I beg you to consider making material available there!
> >
> > The benefits are: we will accept full resolution recording and preserve
> > them for you free of charge forever; and we will make lower quality
> > streaming copies automatically and keep the formats up to date as they
> > evolve. You can add other media as well, any file type that is not
> > executable, really; and add searchable metadata as you see fit. We gene=
rate
> > spectrogram and you can use our embedded cross-browser player or deep l=
ink
> > from your own site.
> >
> > We have very high bandwidth up and down; and people can download via
> > automatically made BitTorrent.
> >
> > The only catch is that we ask that material be made available by CC or
> > similar open license; but we support all CC including my own default wh=
ich
> > specifies no commercial use [unless otherwise negotiated of course].
> >
> > For large collections with good metadata we can also set up custom
> > collections; by default you can just create an account and upload to it=
ems
> > in the catch all "community" collection at once. Items can be migrated
> > later so if you'd like to try it out upload away :)
> >
> > best,
> > aaron
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 11:43 AM Steve Sergeant  <m=
ailto:>

ancial-reality-hits-hard/ <https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/soundclou=
d-slashes-40-staff-financial-reality-hits-hard/>

> >> Posted by: Steve Sergeant < <=
le.com>>