Weatherproof Box

Subject: Weatherproof Box
From: inetd_conf
Date: Tue May 30, 2017 1:30 am ((PDT))
I posted the pictures for this build a while ago, but I finally had the cha=
nce to use it in the field. So here's a quick write-up for the weatherproof=
 box I built a while back:=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I do almost all my recording by setting up my gear and recovering it the n=
ext day. The only catch with this is that if it rains, the gear gets rained=
 on. Gordon Hempton has some really good information on weatherproofing mic=
rophones, but I wanted something more substantial than the gallon Ziploc I =
was using to protect my recorder.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I stuck the photos for the build here:=0D
 https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/photos/albums/6456025=
2561=0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 It started out life as an ammo box from Costco. About $20US. I added a wea=
therproof outlet cover from the hardware store (about $8US), four XLR panel=
 jacks and color-coded grommets from Redco Audio (about $6 US per channel),=
 and a bunch of foam lining (free from scavenged packaging material).=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Initially the interior connectors were Neutrik XLR connectors from Redco, =
but with the foam lining there wasn't room to plug connectors onto both sid=
es of my recorder. So I swapped them out for low profile 90 degree connecto=
rs from Cable Techniques (about $15US apiece... ouch.) I don't have picture=
s of this yet, but the new connectors allowed me to plug all four channels =
into my recorder. Around the same time I picked up a right angle power cabl=
e so I could use an external battery as well.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 A dry-run with a temperature logger indicated the foam lining was acting a=
s too much of an insulator, and the recorder was likely to overheat. So I r=
emoved the two side foam panels and replaced them with thermal pad material=
 - a silicone rubber compound designed to remove heat from electronic compo=
nents. The recorder butts up against one, and the external battery pack but=
ts up against the other. The thermal pad provides contact area to heat sink=
 the recorder and battery to the outside walls of the box. (Sorry, I don't =
have a picture of this yet, either.) This solved the overheating issue.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Night before last I set everything up to record coqui frogs in a eucalyptu=
s forest out on an old cane haul road. Unfortunately the area is being logg=
ed, so this is likely the last time I will be able to record there before t=
he trees are all gone. I had some issues with moisture on the mics, but I g=
ot a nice transition from predominantly birdsong to the calls of the coqui =
frogs. Bit of a long recording, so I apologize.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/from-birds-to-frogs-with-occasional-cow =
https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/from-birds-to-frogs-with-occasional-cow=
=0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 This was done with an SASS with single EM-172 capsules for each channel. (=
Thanks again, Vicki!)=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Unfortunately the battery I thought I'd charged wasn't, so the whole setup=
 gave up around 1:30am, well before the dawn chorus. I'm looking forward to=
 using this for the next IDCD, but I'm planning to try again well before th=
en with a fully charged battery.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Cheers,=0D