Re: quietness suitability index

Subject: Re: quietness suitability index
From: "rapsac" cstroem
Date: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:41 pm ((PDT))
Recently I was able to record for an hour without any detectable noise
at a location in south Sweden which surprised me, especially the lack of
airplanes. It was near one of the "blue" areas identified in the map. So
from my limited experience it might be accurate. I would expect this
kind of place to be very rare here and non-existent in mainland Europe,
at least in flat terrain?

I wish you good luck with the workshop. The current political issue here
is about loosening noise legislation to allow building housing closer to
roads and railroads..

Caspar

On 2017-04-24 15:23, Bernie Krause
[naturerecordists] wrote:
> Yes, Caspar. As a matter of fact, I am presenting the opening talk at the=
 EU Parliament and a workshop for the EU Environmental Ministers at the end=
 of June in Bruxelles on just this subject. And, again, at the World Econom=
ic Forum in Davos next January.

> Basically, the EUprogramme addresses relatively anthropophonic-free place=
s and times and represents a pretty good start, although it is not perfect,=
 since aircraft routes constantly change and the continent can be a noisy p=
lace. At least the EU is confronting the issue of human noise head-on (with=
 varied results at this point). While, in the U. S., the Office of Noise Ab=
atement (once part of the Environmental Protection Agency) was defunded by =
James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Reagan in 1982. At the time, it=
 had approached the subject even more ambitiously. It still technically exi=
sts as an office without staff or mission. When asked why he defunded the p=
rogramme, Watt responded: =93Noise is power. The noisier we are as a countr=
y, the more powerful we appear to be to others.=94

s] <> wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> Does anyone here have knowledge of the quietness suitability index (QSI)
>> as used here:
>> http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/figures/quietness-suitability-ind=
ex-qsi-1
>> ? Can this map can be reliably used to locate good recording spots
>> (especially in north Europe)?
>>
>> Caspar
>>

>> ------------------------------------
>> Posted by: rapsac <>
>>
>> "While a picture is worth a thousand words, a
>> sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause=
.

>> Yahoo Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional