[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6770

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6770
From: "" <>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 01:23:03 +0000

    From: 303
    From: Jim Mooney
    From: 303
    From:  om4kbkt4b4u45thq3w3x5bvqs3bweu2lnw2ewjtv
    From: Arnþór Helgason
    From: ROSS HALE
    From: Jonas Gruska
    From: Gregory O&#39;Drobinak
    From:  elkhornson
    From:  om4kbkt4b4u45thq3w3x5bvqs3bweu2lnw2ewjtv
    From:  om4kbkt4b4u45thq3w3x5bvqs3bweu2lnw2ewjtv
1l. Re: Stereo mic
    From:  inetd_conf
1m. Re: Stereo mic - Ocean waves
    From: Bernie Krause

Messages
1a. Re: Stereo mic
    Posted by: "303"  quies_still
    Date: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:49 pm ((PDT))

The Nt4 is ok for the price but I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s heavy and
cumbersome and actually quite noisy, despite it’s self-noise rating. (one of
many reasons to not blindly believe what the specs say)
I believe AT has stereo mics in the same price range that are much better…

> On 24 Mar 2017, at 11:29, Jim Mooney  [naturerecordists]
> <> wrote:
>

> I'll add to the question by asking:  other than a pair of EM172 based mics,
> what's the next stereo mic the group would recommend?  I'm thinking a single
> point mic like a NT-4 or something.  Not top of the line but best bang for
> the buck.
>
> Be well,
>

> Jim
>

> On 03/23/2017 04:18 PM, Matt Rogalsky
> <> [naturerecordists] wrote:
>>

>> Check out LOM mics (by Jonáš Gruska), well built and very good specs. I have
>> a pair of the “Uši Pro” and they are quite excellent for all kinds of field
>> recording.
>> Not too expensive — the Pro pair are 120 Euro, the others 90.
>>
>> https://lom.audio/product/usi/ <https://lom.audio/product/usi/>
>> https://lom.audio/product/usi-pro/ <https://lom.audio/product/usi-pro/>
>>
>> Unfortunately they are out of stock most of the time but if you join the
>> mailing list you’ll get occasional announcements of new batches you can
>> pre-order… if you’re quick about it!
>>
>> Here are some frogs recorded last week on Gabriola Island, BC
>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/id5iz2j1fxe89a2/Gabriola%20Frogs%20edit%20March%2018%202017.aif?dl=1>
>>  (DropBox link).
>>
>> Gruska also makes some other really interesting stuff. Check out his devices
>> for sonifying magnetic fields.
>>

>>> On Mar 21, 2017, at 10:04 PM, micro Phonic
>>> <> [naturerecordists]
>>> <
>>> <>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would appreciate any advice on getting a stereo mic for Roland R05. For
>>> soundscape work, mainly water river, shorelines. Something in the $200
>>> bracket.

Messages in this topic (23)
1b. Re: Stereo mic
    Posted by: "Jim Mooney"  jmooney776
    Date: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:23 pm ((PDT))

Any particular model you might recommend?  I was using the NT4 as an
example…looking for suggestions of an inexpensive single point stereo mic.

I agree with you that AT makes some nice mics.  Interested to see what other
like in this range.

Thanks for responding!

Jim

> On Mar 23, 2017, at 9:48 PM, 303  [naturerecordists]
> <> wrote:
>
> The Nt4 is ok for the price but I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s heavy and
> cumbersome and actually quite noisy, despite it’s self-noise rating. (one of
> many reasons to not blindly believe what the specs say)
>
> I believe AT has stereo mics in the same price range that are much better…
>
>> On 24 Mar 2017, at 11:29, Jim Mooney
>> <> [naturerecordists]
>> < <>>
>> wrote:
>>

>> I'll add to the question by asking:  other than a pair of EM172 based mics,
>> what's the next stereo mic the group would recommend?  I'm thinking a single
>> point mic like a NT-4 or something.  Not top of the line but best bang for
>> the buck.
>>
>> Be well,
>>

>> Jim
>>

>> On 03/23/2017 04:18 PM, Matt Rogalsky
>> <> [naturerecordists] wrote:
>>>

>>> Check out LOM mics (by Jonáš Gruska), well built and very good specs. I
>>> have a pair of the “Uši Pro” and they are quite excellent for all kinds of
>>> field recording.
>>> Not too expensive — the Pro pair are 120 Euro, the others 90.
>>>
>>> https://lom.audio/product/usi/ <https://lom.audio/product/usi/>
>>> https://lom.audio/product/usi-pro/ <https://lom.audio/product/usi-pro/>
>>>
>>> Unfortunately they are out of stock most of the time but if you join the
>>> mailing list you’ll get occasional announcements of new batches you can
>>> pre-order… if you’re quick about it!
>>>
>>> Here are some frogs recorded last week on Gabriola Island, BC
>>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/id5iz2j1fxe89a2/Gabriola%20Frogs%20edit%20March%2018%202017.aif?dl=1>
>>>  (DropBox link).
>>>
>>> Gruska also makes some other really interesting stuff. Check out his
>>> devices for sonifying magnetic fields.

Messages in this topic (23)
1c. Re: Stereo mic
    Posted by: "303"  quies_still
    Date: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm ((PDT))

Sorry, Jim, I forget which AT models are good in the same price range as the
NT4. I’m sure someone here knows though.

Good luck

Peter

> On 24 Mar 2017, at 13:23, Jim Mooney  [naturerecordists]
> <> wrote:
>

> Any particular model you might recommend?  I was using the NT4 as an
> example…looking for suggestions of an inexpensive single point stereo mic.
>
> I agree with you that AT makes some nice mics.  Interested to see what other
> like in this range.
>
> Thanks for responding!
>
> Jim
>

>> On Mar 23, 2017, at 9:48 PM, 303
>> <> [naturerecordists]
>> < <>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The Nt4 is ok for the price but I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s heavy and
>> cumbersome and actually quite noisy, despite it’s self-noise rating. (one of
>> many reasons to not blindly believe what the specs say)
>>
>> I believe AT has stereo mics in the same price range that are much better…
>>
>>> On 24 Mar 2017, at 11:29, Jim Mooney
>>> <> [naturerecordists]
>>> <
>>> <>> wrote:
>>>

>>> I'll add to the question by asking:  other than a pair of EM172 based mics,
>>> what's the next stereo mic the group would recommend?  I'm thinking a
>>> single point mic like a NT-4 or something.  Not top of the line but best
>>> bang for the buck.
>>>
>>> Be well,
>>>

>>> Jim

Messages in this topic (23)
1d. Re: Stereo mic
    Posted by:   om4kbkt4b4u45thq3w3x5bvqs3bweu2lnw2ewjtv
    Date: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:29 am ((PDT))

Thanks Tom, not rambly in the least. I'm not after the spectacular with water.
I find big wave action  too uniform and hissy for my set up. So I prefer the
gentler shore line wash and ebb.
In rivers I look for water over rock sounds rather than the big sound.
My query stems from more of a curiosity. Would stereo enhance what I like? If
so is low noise mic spec an issue?
Thanks,
Martin

Messages in this topic (23)
1e. Re: Stereo mic
    Posted by: "Arnþór Helgason"
    Date: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:03 am ((PDT))

Hello, Martin,

Most stereomicrophones are wind-sensitive so they need to be protected.

Even thogh the NT4 is a little bit heavy it is sturdy. If you are going
to record waves the movement is ov vital importance and therefore stereo
is a must.

Best regards,

Arnthor

http://hljod.blog.is

Þann 24.3.2017 10:29, skrifaði  [naturerecordists]:

> Thanks Tom, not rambly in the least. I'm not after the spectacular
> with water. I find big wave action too uniform and hissy for my set
> up. So I prefer the gentler shore line wash and ebb.
> In rivers I look for water over rock sounds rather than the big sound.
> My query stems from more of a curiosity. Would stereo enhance what I
> like? If so is low noise mic spec an issue?
> Thanks,
> Martin

Messages in this topic (23)
1f. Re: Stereo mic
    Posted by: "ROSS HALE"  oskargypsy
    Date: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:48 am ((PDT))

Hi Martin,

Here is a link to a recording I made some years ago of wave wash and swash on a
pebble beach.

It was made with a homemade sass with 2x pairs of em172 & Sony m10.

I agree with the widespread view that an inexpensive sass setup can deliver
stunning soundscapes.

https://soundcloud.com/rosshale/high-tide-at-the-pebble-ridge

________________________________
behalf of Arn��r Helgason  [naturerecordists]
<>
Most stereomicrophones are wind-sensitive so they need to be protected.

Even thogh the NT4 is a little bit heavy it is sturdy. If you are going to
record waves the movement is ov vital importance and therefore stereo is a must.

Best regards,

Arnthor

http://hljod.blog.is

Hlj��rit - Icelandic Soundblog - hljod.blog.is<http://hljod.blog.is/>
hljod.blog.is
Ve�ri� var einstaklega gott � Reykjav�k � dag, f�studaginn 3. Mars. Vi� hj�nin
brug�um undir okkur betri f�tinum og h�ldum ni�ur a� Tj�rn.

�ann 24.3.2017 10:29, skrifa�i
<> [naturerecordists]:

Thanks Tom, not rambly in the least. I'm not after the spectacular with water.
I find big wave action too uniform and hissy for my set up. So I prefer the
gentler shore line wash and ebb.
In rivers I look for water over rock sounds rather than the big sound.
My query stems from more of a curiosity. Would stereo enhance what I like? If
so is low noise mic spec an issue?
Thanks,
Martin

Messages in this topic (23)
1g. Re: Stereo mic
    Posted by: "Jonas Gruska"  mrqwa
    Date: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:36 am ((PDT))

Thanks for the shoutout Matt! Super glad you’re enjoying them :)

Regards,
Jonas

✺ ✺ ✺
http://jonasgru.sk

On 23 Mar 2017, at 21:18, Matt Rogalsky
[naturerecordists] wrote:

> Check out LOM mics (by Jonáš Gruska), well built and very good
> specs. I have a pair of the “Uši Pro” and they are quite
> excellent for all kinds of field recording.
> Not too expensive — the Pro pair are 120 Euro, the others 90.
>
> https://lom.audio/product/usi/
> https://lom.audio/product/usi-pro/
>
> Unfortunately they are out of stock most of the time but if you join
> the mailing list you’ll get occasional announcements of new batches
> you can pre-order… if you’re quick about it!
>
> Here are some frogs recorded last week on Gabriola Island,
> BC<https://www.dropbox.com/s/id5iz2j1fxe89a2/Gabriola%20Frogs%20edit%20March%2018%202017.aif?dl=1>
>
> (DropBox link).
>
> Gruska also makes some other really interesting stuff. Check out his
> devices for sonifying magnetic fields.
>

> On Mar 21, 2017, at 10:04 PM, micro Phonic
> <>
> [naturerecordists]
> <<>>
> wrote:
>
> Would appreciate any advice on getting a stereo mic for Roland R05.
> For soundscape work, mainly water river, shorelines. Something in the
> $200 bracket.

Messages in this topic (23)
1h. Re: Stereo mic
    Posted by: "Gregory O&#39;Drobinak"  gmo_dunes2
    Date: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:26 am ((PDT))

Jim:

I did a search on the B&H site and found this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1211979-REG/azden_smx_30_stereo_mono_switchable_video.html/prm/alsVwDtl

I have no personal experience with this, but the reviews indicate that it may
work for your needs. I think that B&H has a good return policy if you don't
like it, but you should check with them.

This looks like a very good solution for your application:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082671-REG/rode_svmx_stereo_video_mic_x.html/prm/alsVwDtl

It has excellent specs and very low self-noise, which would make it useful for
recording quiet nature areas. It is not cheap, but you don't get something for
nothing. Remember that .   ;>}
However, it appears to be the same price as a Rode NT-4, so if you could afford
that, buy this SVMX mic instead. Much better specs and it is compact.

One thing that is very important to consider is shock mounts and wind
protection.
Both of these mics have that to some degree, but you may have to augment that,
depending on the conditions where you are recording. Experience will show you
the way.

Note that both of these mics are made to mount on the hot shoe of cameras, so
you may need an adapter to mount them on a tripod, mic stand or a light stand.
There are adapters available for boom poles as well.

The only stereo one-point mic that I personally have found to be good is the
Audio Technica BP4025.  It needs good blimping to take care of wind noise, but
it has excellent performance in the field. Here is the link:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602082-REG/Audio_Technica_BP4025_BP4025_X_Y_Stereo_Field.html

The only problem with the last mic is that it requires phantom power and has
XLR connectors. You will find this to be the case with any good quality mic
that you find.
That won't work with the recorder that you have, so you either need to add and
external preamp (pricey & bulky) or upgrade your recorder. The minimum I would
commend is the Tascam DR-70D. It supports four channel recording (4 XLRs with
phantom) and has good low noise preamps for less than $300. It is part of my
'grab & go' rig, light weight and compact. I use an external USB power brick
when using phantom power, especially for four mics, since 4 AA cells don't last
for more than about 1.5 hours.

As always, read the reviews, talk to the folks where you plan to buy it (I
recommend B&H) and then try it. Perhaps you can try the Azden and give us a
review of your experiences with it.

So that's all I have to say on this subject.
Personally, I think your best bang for the buck is to go the DIY route because
it is very inexpensive, light weight, and low-noise. Plus you will have the
satisfaction of having built something that you can modify and improve upon to
suit your needs.

Good luck to you and Ciao!

- Gregory

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 23, 2017, at 7:29 PM, Jim Mooney  [naturerecordists]
> <> wrote:
>
> I'll add to the question by asking:  other than a pair of EM172 based mics,
> what's the next stereo mic the group would recommend?  I'm thinking a single
> point mic like a NT-4 or something.  Not top of the line but best bang for
> the buck.
>
> Be well,
>

> Jim
>

>> On 03/23/2017 04:18 PM, Matt Rogalsky  [naturerecordists]
>> wrote:
>>
>> Check out LOM mics (by Jonáš Gruska), well built and very good specs. I have
>> a pair of the “Uši Pro” and they are quite excellent for all kinds of field
>> recording.
>> Not too expensive — the Pro pair are 120 Euro, the others 90.
>>
>> https://lom.audio/product/usi/
>> https://lom.audio/product/usi-pro/
>>
>> Unfortunately they are out of stock most of the time but if you join the
>> mailing list you’ll get occasional announcements of new batches you can
>> pre-order… if you’re quick about it!
>>
>> Here are some frogs recorded last week on Gabriola Island, BC (DropBox link).
>>
>> Gruska also makes some other really interesting stuff. Check out his devices
>> for sonifying magnetic fields.
>>

>>> On Mar 21, 2017, at 10:04 PM, micro Phonic
>>> [naturerecordists] <> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would appreciate any advice on getting a stereo mic for Roland R05. For
>>> soundscape work, mainly water river, shorelines. Something in the $200
>>> bracket.

Messages in this topic (23)
1i. Re: Stereo mic
    Posted by:   elkhornson
    Date: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:17 am ((PDT))

I would recommend the Audio-Technica BP4029 (formerly the AT835ST) microphone
that sells for $750. With this mic in M-S mode there are two independent mid
and side signals from the two capsules so you can adjust the balance later or
while recording if using a mixer in the field. You can switch it to provide a
matrixed stereo mode and there also a switch for 80 Hz low frequency roll-off.
It also provides for a choice of a wide or narrow pattern pickup so you can
decide how much ambience you want to record.

It is not as weather-proof as the Sennheiser microphones but then the MKH418S
costs more than twice as much. I use an acoustic rain cover (Remote Audio
Rainman) where there is precipitation anyway.

I wanted a single mic setup for travel and this also makes for a lighter cable
to manage with a single 5-pin instead of two XLR-3 cables. It comes with a 24"
spliter to take the XLR-5F to two XLR-3M connectors which I can then connect to
a Zoom or Sound Devices recorder to provide the phantom power.

I decided a long time ago that it made little sense to limit myself to mics not
needing phantom power if quality sound recordings was my objective.

Messages in this topic (23)
1j. Re: Stereo mic
    Posted by:   om4kbkt4b4u45thq3w3x5bvqs3bweu2lnw2ewjtv
    Date: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:45 pm ((PDT))

Elkhornsen
Thanks. The mic gets good enough reviews, though assessed mainly as a camera
mic. I'm not clear as to how it might behave going into a 3. 5 and not an Xlr
set up.
I feel that 3.5 might be a disadvantage generally. However that's another
topic.
Martin

Messages in this topic (23)
1k. Re: Stereo mic
    Posted by:   om4kbkt4b4u45thq3w3x5bvqs3bweu2lnw2ewjtv
    Date: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:55 pm ((PDT))

Thanks Gregory, plenty to consider there. I like to travel light and record
discretely. So that's another factor.
Martin

Messages in this topic (23)
1l. Re: Stereo mic
    Posted by:   inetd_conf
    Date: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:49 pm ((PDT))

Gordon Hempton's web site and book are really good references for recording
water. Here's a link to the part of his web page discussing waves:

 http://blog.quietplanet.com/how-to-record-waves/
http://blog.quietplanet.com/how-to-record-waves/

 It's possible to record big wave action without all the hissy top-end, but it
requires finding just the right beach. If there's an offshore reef, or if the
beach is relatively shallow, waves tend to break farther out or break far out
and then closer in. Either way the distant waves or multi-break waves create a
lot of background hiss.

 All of which would be beside the point, except that you can control that hiss
to some degree with your microphone setup. An SASS creates a wonderful sense of
space, but I haven't found a way to keep it from picking up distant waves
except by choosing a beach that only has a close break. You can eliminate some
of the background hiss of distant waves by using a more directional microphone
and pointing it down, but you lose some of the sense of space when you do. But
I'm getting off topic.

 To go back to the question you asked about stereo enhancing what you like,
Ross's recording is a really good example of what an SASS does with wave
action. (I love pebble beaches, Ross, and that was beautiful to listen to.)
Last year or so I recorded using a similar setup (SASS with single capsules) at
a sand beach that had an uneven break - waves breaking left to right, right to
left, etc. I think the recording loses a lot when listened to in mono. (Good
point about just dropping one of the channels, Vicki!)

 https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/kua-bay-summer-waves
https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/kua-bay-summer-waves

 In terms of portability, an SASS is going to be bigger than a single X-Y or
M-S microphone. It comes down to a question of which stereo mic setup gives you
the soundscape you're after, and what compromises you're willing to make to get
the sound you want.

 Tom

Messages in this topic (23)
1m. Re: Stereo mic - Ocean waves